Hales, Stephen: Statical essays, containing vegetable staticks, or, an account of some statical experiments on the sap in vegetables ... London : printed for W. Innys ; R. Manby ; T. Woodward ; J. Peele, MDCCXXXVIII 
- PDF Front cover
- PDF Title page
- PDF To his royal highness George Prince of Wales.
- PDF The preface.
- PDF Table of contents
- PDF A table where to find each experiment.
- PDF A table where to find each figure.
- PDF The introduction.
- PDF Chap. I. Experiments, shewing the quantities imbibed and perspired by plants and trees.
- PDF Chap. II. Experiments, whereby to find out the force with which trees imbibe moisture.
- PDF Chap. III. Experiments, shewing the force of the sap in the vine in the bleeding season.
- PDF Chap. IV. Experiments, shewing the ready lateral motion of the sap, and consequently the lateral communication of the sap-vessels. The free passage of it from the small branches towards the stem, as well as from the stem to the branches. With an account of some experiments, relating to the circulation or non-circulation of the sap.
- PDF Chap. V. Experiments, whereby to prove, that a considerable quantity of air is inspired by plants.
- PDF Chap. VI. A specimen of an attempt to analyse the air by a great variety of chymio-statical experiments, which shew in how great a proportion air is wrought into the composition of animal, vegetable, and mineral substances, and withal how readily it resumes its former elastick state, when in the dissolution of those substances it is disengaged from them.
- PDF Chap. VII. Of vegetation.
- PDF The conclusion.
- PDF Back cover